Recently selected as a Finalist in the British Inventors Project awards by the Gadget Show LIVE! team, we are just completing the development on this product and are aiming to launch on Kickstarter in September 2016. To be notified when we are ready to launch so that you can try and get an early-bird offer, please leave us your contact details below:
More details on the product (patents pending, design registered) can be found below.
This shows an early prototype with our fold away rotor design – these move into flight position when the drone is removed from the case. A bigger battery and smaller reel will be used in the final version.
We were inspired to create the drone-in-a-phone case with a number of benefits:
- Portability – it had to fit in your pocket.
- Flight time – had to be much longer than the current 4-5 minutes typical for micro drones.
- Photo and video quality – had to ideally be smartphone camera like – ideally 8 to 12MP rather than the typical 1 to 2MP found in micro drones today.
- Wind resistance – it had to not blow away in the wind (like a number of our fist micro drones did!)
- Control – it had to be easy enough for anyone to use – not based on joysticks.
To create a drone with the benefits listed above, we decided to go tethered and move all of the heavy items (batteries and some electronics) out of the drone and into a battery case. This allowed us to create an ultra lightweight, ultra small drone. Power would be supplied up the tether to the drone and image signals back down it into the phone case. A large battery in the case could both be used as a back up for your phone and give long flight times for the drone. The tether would stop the unit blowing away in the wind.
We have built a number of prototypes of with fold away motors/props, tested the live phone and video feed into the phone case, investigated methods of getting it into the phone and filed patents on a number of key innovations. We are still working to optimise the mechanical, electronic and software design before getting updated quotes for manufacture. We estimate that we will be ready to launch on Kickstarter in late Q3 2016.
WORK WITH US
Whilst we do already have an experienced team, funding and a shortlist of manufacturers, we are interested in optimising our commercial offering and fast tracking this product to market, so do please get in touch with us if you are any of the following:
- An engineer with drone or camera expertise.
- A private or crowd investor – in addition to a share of profits from this product, we are offering a share of potential smartphone manufacturer royalties from our CAM-ON-A-CABLE future smartphone camera solution.
- A smartphone manufacturer – interested in offering this product either as an accessory or built into a future product.
- A drone manufacturer interested in partnering with us to bring a game changing product to market.
- Subcontract manufacturers with injection moulding and electronics manufacturing capabilities.